A Summary Description of the Papers of the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust
A Summary Description of the Papers of the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust
The British Motor Industry Heritage Trust (BMIHT) is an independent Trust incorporated on 7th January 1983 to preserve the heritage of the British Motor Industry. The Trust originated as Leyland Historic Vehicles which was established in 1957 to preserve the heritage of those UK motor companies which were brought together in the British Leyland Motor Corporation. In 1978 the Company was renamed BL Heritage Ltd., and in 1983 the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust was incorporated to take on its academic responsibilities.
Reference: British Motor Industry Heritage Trust Annual Review, 1987
Business records of the various constituent companies which form the BMIHT (see below). Comprising Board and committee minutes and related papers; annual reports and accounts, summarised production and stock data, share registers; selected subject files, relating to broad areas of activity and policy matters; selected material on personnel and industrial relations topics, patents and trade marks, financial matters.
The collection is arranged according to the constituent companies, to each of which a code (AA: Alford and Alder, AU: Austin Motor Company, etc.) has been allocated. The final section of the collection (MSS.226X) relates to items acquired and owned by the Centre, which include relevant reference works and specimens of product or trading literature. The Centre's standard classification is used in all sections except MSS.226X.
For further details of the Modern Records Centre classification scheme, see http://www.warwick.ac.uk/services/library/mrc/mrcclass.shtml. It is compatible with ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description (2000).
In January 1983 the University Library entered into a formal agreement with BL Heritage Ltd., predecessor of the BMIHT, under the terms of which the Centre was recognised as the official place of deposit for selected business records of BL plc. The Centre's role in the implementation of the agreement is a reactive one, in response to offers of material from the Trust, selecting from the material offered according to mutually agreed guide-lines.
This collection was deposited in the Centre by the BMIHT in 1983.
This collection has been weeded for duplicates
Further deposits are not expected.
The Trust's permission must be obtained for consultation of unpublished material less than 30 years old.
All requests for publication of deposited material or the result of research based on it should be made to the Trust. The Trust reserves all rights to commercial exploitation and commercial publication. Please contact the Centre's staff for further details.
Electronic catalogues to file level are available for all the collections in the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust Archive (except MSS.226X) from the list below and on the Access to Archives (A2A) website at: http://www.a2a.pro.gov.uk/
Paper catalogues for all the collections are available in the Centre's searchroom, at the National Register of Archives in London and in Chadwyck-Healey's National Inventory of Documentary Sources.
An authority record exists for the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust (GB 0152 AAR2288).
Technical materials and some business records are retained by the BMIHT. Technical enquiries should be made direct to the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust, Archives and Information Service, Gaydon, Warwickshire.
British Motor Industry Heritage Trust
Motor industry -- Great Britain
MSS.226/ACV ACV Sales Ltd. 1929-1962
ACV Sales Ltd. (ACV Sales Ltd. was nominally the successor to the Four Wheel Drive Motors company.
MSS.226/AA Alford and Alder (Engineers) Ltd. 1925-1969
Alford and Alder (Engineers) Ltd., axle, independent front suspension and steering gear specialists, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire. (Alforder Newton Ltd. from February 1959).
MSS.226/AE Associated Equipment Company Ltd. 1912-1970
The Associatied Equipment Company was created as a wholly owned subsidiary of the London General Omnibus Company (LGOC) in 1912. In 1916 AEC came under direct Government control for the duration of the war. In 1933 the Associated Equipment Company was floated as a separate business. In 1948 AEC acquired Crossley Motors Ltd. and the Maudslay Motor Company Ltd. and a new holding company, Associated Commercial Vehicles Ltd. (ACV), was set up. This joined Leyland Motors in 1962 and became part of what was later know as the Leyland Motor Corporation. The company ceased trading with the collapse of the Leyland Group in 1979.
MSS.226/AU Austin Motor Company Ltd. 1919-1961
Austin Motor Company Ltd., car and commercial vehicle manufacturers, Longbridge, founded 1906 by Herbert Austin. The company joined Morris Motors in the British Motor Corporation (BMC), 1952. In 1968, BMC and Leyland merged and from 1970 Austin was part of the Austin-Morris Division of the British Leyland Motor Corporation Ltd.
MSS.226/BM British Motor Corporation Ltd. 1952-1967
Founded 1952 to unite the Austin Motor Company Ltd., and Morris Motors Ltd. Its name was changed to British Motor Holdings Ltd. in 1966, BMC then becoming a main group subsidiary. In 1968, the company became British Leyland after a short period in limbo as British Motor Holdings and gradually transformed into the Rover Group, a part of BMW. BMC merged with the Pressed Steel Company at some point.
MSS.226/CB Cowley Builders and Woodworkers Ltd. 1951-1964
Cowley Builders and Woodworkers Ltd., 1951-1964.
MSS.226/CR Crossley Motors Ltd. 1910-1969
Crossley Motors Ltd., gas engine manufacturers, produced cars from 1904 to 1937 and commercial vehicles from 1912 to 1956, at Gorton to 1945 and then at Stockport. The firm merged with the Associated Equipment Company Ltd. (AEC) in 1948, the Stockport factory was closed in 1958.
MSS.226/ST/F Forward Radiator Company Ltd. 1919-1970
Forward Radiator Company Ltd. was founded in February 1919, acquired by Mulliners in February 1958. The company was acquired by the Standard Motor Company in 1960.
MSS.226/FW Four Wheel Drive Motors Ltd. 1929-1975
Successor to British Four Wheel Drive Tractor-Lorry Company, 1918-20, and the Four Wheel Drive Tractor-Lorry Engineering Co. Ltd., 1920-9. The company was succeeded by ACV Sales.
MSS.226/HA Hardy Rail Motors Ltd. 1925-1975
Hardy Rail Motors Ltd., subsequently Hardy Motors Ltd. In 1932 Associated Equipment Company Ltd. (AEC) became the sole shareholder, following the arrangement made with Four Wheel Drive Motors. During the 1920s Hardy built rail-going conversions of Four Wheel Drive (FWD) vehicles; in 1931 the Hardy trade-name was applied to FWD road vehicles to avoid confusion with the American FWD company, but through the 1930s the identity of Hardy as a distinct marque was increasingly subordinated to AEC.
MSS.226/BL Leyland Motor Corporation Ltd. 1961-1968
Leyland Motor Corporation Ltd company merged with British Motor Holdings Ltd in 1968 to form the British Leyland Motor Corporation. The company was partly nationalized by the British government in 1975.
MSS.226/MG MG Car Company Ltd. 1930-1958
Established in 1930 as a privately owned company by W. R. Morris, to take over the business of making and selling MG cars from The Morris Garages Ltd. of Oxford. In 1935, MG was sold by Morris to Morris Motors Limited. In the late 1970s it became part of British Leyland's Jaguar Rover Triumph subsidiary.
MSS.226/MC Morris Commercial Cars Ltd. 1924-1968
Established in 1924, when W.R. Morris took over E.G. Wrigley and Co. Ltd. In 1936, Morris sold Morris Commercial Cars to Morris Motors Limited. The factory was closed in 1971 and shortly afterwards was demolished. The use of the Morris Commercial name on vehicles was discontinued in 1967-68.
MSS.226/MO Morris Motors Ltd. 1926-1973
Formed in 1926 as an amalgamation of the following companies: Morris Motors Limited (formed in 1919), Osberton Radiators Limited, Morris Engines Limited (formerly Hotchkiss of Coventry) and Hollick and Pratt Limited, until then all separately and privately owned by W.R. Morris. In 1929, the company name was changed to Morris Motors Limited. From 1937, Morris Motors Limited became the main holding company for all of the Morris and associated companies. In 1952, Morris Motors Limited merged with The Austin Motor Company Limited to form The British Motor Corporation Limited (BMC).
MSS.226/X Motor Industry Secondary Documentation Collection c1950-2002
Secondary documentation comprising press-cuttings, publicity material, monographs, etc. on the history and development of the motor industry in Britain. The collection provides a contextual background to the business records held by the Centre on deposit from the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust and provides coverage to the period subsequent to those records.
MSS.226/ST/MH Mulliners (Holdings) Ltd. 1928-1972
A holding company of Mulliners Ltd. Mulliners were taken over by Standard-Triumph in the late 1950s.
MSS.226/ST/M Mulliners Ltd. 1924-1973
Mulliners, taken over by Standard-Triumph in the late 1950s, were responsible for a number of estate car and commercial vehicle conversions of Standard products such as the Vanguard and the 8/10/Pennant line and also built TR2-3 bodies.
MSS.226/NE Nuffield Exports Ltd. 1933-1974
Established in July 1933 as Morris Industries Exports Ltd., with Sir William Morris as Governing Director, to undertake the export of Morris products. The name was changed to Nuffield Exports Ltd. in July 1945, after the administrative reorganisation associated with Sir Miles Thomas, following his appointment as vice-chairman of Morris Motors in 1940.
MSS.226/NM Nuffield Mechanizations Ltd. 1935-1953
The records are initially those of Wolseley Aero Engines Ltd.(WAE), founded 1935 to acquire the aircraft engine manufacturing business of Wolseley Motors (1927) Ltd. of Drews Lane, Ward End, Birmingham. In 1937 WAE purchased Nuffield Mechanizations Ltd. as a going concern and subsequently changed its name to Nuffield Mechanizations and Aero Ltd. This was changed to Mechanizations and Aero Ltd. in 1939 and again to Nuffield Mechanizations Ltd. in 1942.
MSS.226/NT Nuffield Tools and Gauges Ltd. 1943-1974
The company was formed to take over the business of Nuffield Tools and Gauges from Morris Motors Limited as a going concern on 31 December 1942.
MSS.226/PS Pressed Steel Fisher Division 1921-1978
Fl. 1940-1970, the Pressed Steel Company merged with the British Motor Corporation in 1965.
The shells of the Silver Shadow (a car made by Rolls Royce) were produced by Pressed Steel Fisher of Cowley, who had provided all the standard steel body shells since 1946.
MSS.226/RI Riley (Coventry) Successors Ltd. 1938-1961
Riley (Coventry) Successors Ltd. was established in September 1938 when, following an approach from Victor Riley, Lord Nuffield bought Riley (Coventry) Limited, a family-owned business with roots going back into the late 19th century. Nuffield sold the company immediately for a nominal sum to Morris Motors Limited who renamed it Riley (Coventry) Successors Ltd. In 1949 the name of the company was changed to Riley Motors Limited. From then on the company was effectively dormant.
MSS.226/RO Rover Cycle Company Ltd. 1891-1996
The Rover Cycle Company Ltd. was founded in 1877 as a partnership between John Kemp Starley and William Sutton. By 1906 the name had changed to The Rover Company Limited. In 1935 Lord Nuffield sold the company together with Wolseley and his other interests to Morris Motors Ltd. as part of a general rationalisation of the Morris companies, forming the Nuffield Organisation. In 1966, Rover was bought by Leyland. In 1968, the Leyland group merged with the British Motor Corporation (BMC), which produced Austin, Morris, MG and other makes. Rover was eventually merged with Triumph and Jaguar as a maker of upmarket specialist cars. In 1975, Leyland was nationalised. In 1986 British Leyland was renamed the Rover Group . In 1988, the Rover Group was sold to to British Aerospace.
MSS.226/ST Standard Motor Company Ltd. 1903-1973
The Standard Motor Company was founded in Coventry in 1903 by Reginald Walter Maudslay. Standard acquired Triumph in November 1944. The company was renamed as the Triumph Motor Company Ltd. in 1945. In 1959 the name was changed to Standard-Triumph International, in 1965 Leyland took over Standard Triumph, in 1965 the name was changed to Standard-Triumph Motor Company, and in 1970 to Triumph Motor Company.
MSS.226/STR Standard Tractor Company 1959-1963
The Standard Tractor Company was set up in 1959 . After Standard joined Leyland in 1960, the Tractor Company was put into voluntary liquidation (resolution of 9 November, 1960).
MSS.226/SU S.U. (Carburetter) Company Ltd. 1907
George Herbert Skinner to S.U. Company Ltd., 28 Nov 1910: Licence to work patents 3257 and 26178 of 1907; list of S.U.Company records in Science Museum Library.
MSS.226/WY West Yorkshire Foundries Ltd. 1946-1970
The parent company of West Yorkshire Foundries Ltd. was Leyland Motors Ltd.
MSS.226/WO Wolseley Motors Ltd. 1949
Lord Nuffield sold Wolseley and his other interests to Morris Motors Ltd. in 1935 as part of a general rationalisation of the Morris companies, forming the Nuffield Organisation.